LOSS AND KEEPING THOSE GONE CLOSE BY

Loss of those we love hurts.  There is no stopping the pain of loss that we will all suffer, and as we age it will only come more frequently.  But once you get beyond the immediate sadness, what do you do to keep loved ones with you?

Just over one year ago I saw my older brother for the last time. The day was May 7, 2018.  Sadly, he passed away on June 6, just one day short of his 58th birthday. I’d been thinking of a way to honor him for months, and on May 10, 2019 – 368 days later, I made that desire to honor my older and wiser brother a reality.  More about that later.

Growing up with brothers, there were happy times and less happy times. And there was love, although never verbally acknowledged.  As brothers we shared many things in common that we liked or were into, as well as things we each did on our own. That’s what makes life, life. We’d go on adventures together with just two or all three of us (family vacations, so many concerts, Grateful Dead excursions, a memorable trip to Cancun, motorcycle rides).  Although I did not grasp the importance at the time, in hindsight those adventures are extremely valuable.  The memories and great times are locked in my mind for as long as I keep them.

Of course, there are hard times growing up and my older and wiser bother was there for me as well, regardless if I lived in the immediate area or 1700+ miles away.  That’s what love does and should be.

My older brother also created a now famous stamp of his face that he used for years.  It would show up in random places, on his holiday cards, and his famous party invitations. If you knew Gary, you likely received or saw something with his face stamp.

So, from now on and for all the NHL Playoff Games I watch (which he loved too as does our younger bro), adventures I go on alone and with my family, and when I visit him, he’ll be there.  And even as my younger brother and I celebrate Gary by attending Dead & Company at The Gorge, on his 59th birthday in a just a few weeks, he will always be there and have my back.  Because his face and face stamp are permanently inked on my calf.  Cheers to Gary, truly one of a kind, loved by many, and missed – but not forgotten, every day.




Comments

Popular Posts